VDP-147: Catalyst Beta Program: Funding Experiment for Longevity Research Moonshots

As always, thank you, Alex, for your great proposals. There is a lot to be excited about with this one.
I myself already have a couple of projects that I am happy to refer to Catalyst so that they can raise funds to define some aspects that, as of now, make it difficult for VitaDAO to invest in e.g. defining the target, assessing whether a correlation is a causation, etc)

Here are my questions
• How is a moonshot defined? If it is the standard “high-risk, high potential” project, who will measure and quantify risk and how? And who will measure potential, and how will it be quantified?
o I find the word “moonshot” abused in DAOs, and it is often used to qualify what is actually “moonshit” that are high-risk low-potential projects – so would like to understand how we will make sure that we are funding actual “moonshots”?
• What does the early stage mean on the TRL scale? Would it be at least TRL3 as for VitaDAO, or would it be even earlier?
o I would love to see it even earlier because I have seen a lot of interesting projects that unfortunately fail because of scientific viability, and if VitaDAO can find a way to fund these through Catalyst, I think it would be great
• What is it meant by expert guidance and funder engagement? Would it be VitaDAO’s builder squad providing this, or would it be the team in the proposal?
• I can say only great things about the people on the team; however, I would like to understand what their role would be and how this would be compatible with their other positions, especially in terms of time allocation
• VitaDAO funds projects with a budget of $200-250K dollars, and this is already little for some projects – how can we expect $30-40K to be enough to reach IP? If IP is not the inflection point, what would be the inflection point that makes the project a success?
o Or would there be other organizations providing the rest of the money (e.g., Molecule) to get to the $200-250K?
• There are already several projects on Catalyst, and I didn’t have time to go through them. Has the team already identified some that could be of interest to VitaDAO?
• How does the sourcing work for Catalyst? Is Molecule allocating a team and budget? How do we make sure that we don’t duplicate efforts with VitaDAO?

4 Likes