This proposal defines the scope and timeline for the start of a Member Portal, which includes user-friendly authentication and the ability for both non-custodial members to participate in governance.
This proposal addresses Goal 0.1 - Increasing Community Size and the focus Building a non-web3 friendly login experience for the online VitaDAO community portal.
This proposal was spec’ed to the meet the $10k budget. It details the work that can be done realistically given the budget, timeline, and our state of knowledge pending results from the market research.
VitaDAO members and contributors come from diverse backgrounds, many without familiarity with web3 tools and concepts. The DAO is built on web3 infrastructure and therefore we have been using many off-the-shelves tools developed for a web3 audience. This has limited our ability to keep the community engaged and make participation less accessible. To mitigate this, we should build our new tools to 1) bridge the web2/web3 world and 2) facilitate features specific to VitaDAO.
- Cat (developer): fullstack web developer for several years, now freelance developer with projects in smart contracts and custom wallets
- Si (designer): designed the VitaDAO website, the Longevity Prize website and many other sties in DeSci
We will start a member portal scaffold, where additional features can be built on top of. The application will be open source on Github to facilitate permissionless community PRs, and deployed via Netlify. The VitaDAO website can link to this page via a “Portal” option in the menu bar.
The portal is web3 agnostic: we use web2 tools if they’re the best tools for the job; and we make interfaces with web3 tools as accessible as possible.
The purpose and future set to be built into the portal will depend on the results of future market research. While waiting for the research, our purpose this season is to build out necessary infrastructure for authentication and governance participation.
- Members: People who signed up for the membership, to be able to participate in governance
- Strategic Members: members who have $VITA holding in custodial services, to be able to participate in governance
- Core, contributors, stewards: these contributor groups are out of scope for the season, but our vision is also making the portal a place where contributors can go to manage their tasks, documents, and DAO-related tools
- Longevity / dealflow group contributors: these contributor groups are out of scope for the season, but our vision also includes building out tools to improve their document access and workflow
- Other Token Holders: we won’t build any additional services to support general token holders this season, but we would like to include more token related tools in the future
- A base UI consistent with VitaDAO branding and design (will work with Si to ensure this)
- User-friendly web2/web3 authentication through a third party auth service (to be researched)
- A user-friendly account onboarding experience
- A homepage that show Members and Strategic Members information about their $VITA holding; or show everyone else with an existing wallet the $VITA holding in their wallet
- Ability to votes on proposals for Members who signed up for the Membership
- Ability to be notified of outstanding proposal and directed to the snapshot link to vote, for users who connect through their own wallet
- Success Metrics: whether the portal scaffold is deployed and running on production, with all of the features listed at the end of the season
- April 10: design finalized
- May 8: Base UI with authentication integrated for both web2 and web3 users
- May 29: Account onboarding experience + home page showing $VITA balance for all user groups
- June 12: Ability to view outstanding proposals and vote on them for all user groups
- Revisions Requested (Detail in Comments)