A key goal of the Sci-Comm project at VitaDAO is (1) increasing presence in the community by generating a diversified portfolio of high-quality scientific content, (2) increasing influx of contributing DAO members, funding- and investment opportunities and (3) building a structured interface between the longevity working group and the awareness working group.
In order to reach these goals, we are putting together a cross-disciplinary team that is generating and distributing content on 3 main channels: audio, video and text. We aim to keep the fixed operational and editorial footprint lightweight and instead have an incentive-based system for contributors, in which creators and distributors are compensated on an event-driven basis.
For activities of Q3 2021, we request a budget of 8000 USD in $VITA from the longevity working group budget
Strategic / Objectives and Key Results (OKR) Alignment
Theme: Science & Communications
OKR Target / Goal: until end of Q3 ’21:
Product, Market and Technology:
- 10 Journal club episodes with >= 25 participants
- Video transcripts of > 5 journal club episodes on Youtube
- 5 articles published covering hallmarks of ageing and related topics
- 5 videos added on Youtube
- First conversations@vita with scientist / entrepreneur
- grow the scicomm team to 10 regular contributors from both the longevity working group and the community & awareness group
- standardized processes for the creation of content
- assigned responsibilities within the scicomm team
- generate min. 1 academic project lead
- generate min. 1 non-academic project lead
- generate min. 10 more contributing discord members via scicomm activity
- create a dashboard for comms
- impressions of scicomm content on twitter
- max. number of participants in journal club
- number of pageviews for articles
- number of views for youtube videos
- number of downloads for podcast episodes
- establish a public bounty program with a fixed amount of VITA offered for a high quality contribution that is shared (especially relevant for articles, but also video and journal club)
Product, Market and Technology
The science communication team is developing 5 products:
- longevity journal club - interactive journal club conversations on clubhouse
- conversations@vita - interactive conversations with selected guest speakers
- medium - written pieces spanning 1000-2000 words, covering scientific topics
- talks@vita - recorded talks given by members of the community
- long life short papers - 2 min explainers of recent and relevant ageing biology literature
Team (alphabetical order)
- Aaron King (WG-mem)
- Alev Basaran (WG-mem)
- Alex Dobrin (WG-mem)
- Ariella Coler-Reilly (WG-mem)
- Estefano Pinilla (WG-mem)
- Ilyssa Evans
- Jason Colasanti (WG-mem)
- Keaton Minor
- Maria Marinova (WG-mem)
- Niklas Rindtorff (WG-mem)
- Max Unfried (WG-mem)
- Steven Zuber (WG-mem)
The working group is rewarding members and guests for their efforts using a bounty system. On a quarterly basis, contributors will get paid a fixed amount based on the number and previously defined value of their contribution.
Moving forward, we will measure the impact of our sci-comm efforts using engagement analytics and onboarding questions with the awareness group to refine the internal pricing for different formats/activities.
requested budget: 8000 USD in $VITA in total from the longevity working group
link to spreadsheet: q421.sci-comm.planning
Detailed description of projects:
The longevity journal club is a weekly event hosted on clubhouse with one hour of scientific discussion about a particular topic within the ageing field. The hosts prepare at least 30 minutes of content and engage in an interactive conversation with the audience.
- coordinate topic with current project steward
- Fill the airtable in for the episode
- identify team mate for journal club episode and tag all the necessary people on Airtable
- notify awareness WG members about the event and schedule it on CH
- in the event description, add an invite link to discord: VitaDAO 💛
- in the event description, add a shortened link to a read-only version of the slide deck once it is camera ready
- prepare slides with at least 24h of buffer before the event
- schedule a 30-60min meeting right in front of the event to go over the slides with your teammate one more time and rehearse (yes, rehearse) the first minutes of the event.
Long Life Short Papers
This is a project where host scientists explain the most recent (since 2021) longevity related papers in a 2-min video every week. This series is more likely to start in October 2021 once the protocol is well-established. The researcher should focus on new studies, review papers shall not be included. If possible, visual support (e.g. highlighting the part of the paper that is being explained and adding some visual supporters like images) should be included into the videos. The researcher should also submit a voice recording to the awareness team to improve the sound quality if needed in the video. Notification of the awareness team and the finalisation of the video is solely the responsibility of the researcher. If the researcher is not a wg member they can still foster the communication on Discord and seek help to get the activities they have accomplished registered on Airtable (for example, by contacting Niklas, Alev, Estefano)
The team is publishing and editing articles for topics surrounding the biology of ageing and the potential translation of new insights into clinical practice. Examples include articles on drug discovery.
recorded talks include a three part series on bottlenecks in longevity by Aaron King.
These conversations will be focusing on experts in mainly longevity science or the intersection of longevity with web3 technologies. The content can be expanded after the successful completion of the first couple episodes. A planning list of the experts to be interviewed for this event series can be found here: VitaDAO Conversations
- Each episode should be planned similar to Journal Club episode planning. There should be a responsible person for organizing the event and doing the communications around it, preferably with a vitadao email account. Once the event is clarified in terms of who is being interviewed, what is the topic, who is the interviewer and who is the collaborator from the awareness team this event should be filled in on Airtable.
- The event should be marketed with a great effort. There will most likely be a lot of external interest to this therefore the awareness team collaborator is responsible for posting the necessary information and links before and during the event.
- The questions and/or the content should be communicated in the longevity wg. This is the responsibility of the interviewer. If this person is not a wg member they should provide a written content plan and share it with the scicomm core team to be discussed further.
- approve with changes
- not approve