VDP-60 Seasonal Governance

This proposal includes lots of interesting details that I’d like VitaDAO to adopt, although I agree with @sarahfriday, @vincent and others that I’d be hesitant to introduce the whole package of this proposal on a mandatory rule-basis. Introducing even more rules than we already have could create unnecessary bureaucracy and increase our spending on governance & operations even more, but our mission is to fund longevity research.

Instead, I could also see us solving the underlying issues on a norm-basis alongside improved onboarding and communications.

For instance, we already practice the bundling of minor changes of governance with ‘amendment’ proposals that sum up several changes in one proposal, such as VDP-12 VitaDAO Governance Framework Amendment #1, VDP-37 VitaDAO Governance Amendment #2 and VDP-59 VitaDAO Governance Amendment #3. There was never a rule to do that, this just happened organically and these bulk proposals are voted on whenever there is a need to.

To decide if and how to move forward with this proposal, we may want to look at our mission and DAO-wide OKRs. How should we approach ‘seasonal governance’ from first principles? How does it benefit our mission? How does it help us achieve OKRs?

On the highest level, that would most certainly be to fund longevity research, which does not mean to increase governance overhead. Does this proposal do so or not?

• Does this proposal reduce governance overhead because governance will be limited to a few weeks a year and we won’t pay governance-related activities on the other months?
  • Does this proposal increase governance overhead because there’ll always be (major or minor) changes in governance needed but this proposals requires us to put in additional effort to discuss whether they are urgent or not?

To answer this question, we may also need to define: What does this proposal actually intend to achieve? The proposal describes the “current way” with specific short-comings, but the “seasonal way” only on a high level without specific measurables.

• “current way”: “Proposals almost always come from core members”
    “seasonal way”: ? almost never from core contributors? half-half?

• “current way”: “most issues are addressed with a single proposal from a core contributor.”
    “seasonal way”: ? always two counter-proposals? >2? is one okay if nobody is interested in a counter-proposal?

2 Likes